Monday, July 18, 2011


Have I mentioned that I don’t knit?  I mean, not really.  I have knitted….a little.  My last attempt was almost 25 years ago.  But I’m REALLY GOOD at following directions, and I’m detail oriented.  I honestly believe that I can do anything I put my mind to.  It’s going to cost me less than $100.00 to find out if that’s true, and who knows – I may just learn a few other lessons along the way!



MY TRIP TO THE YARN STORE
I really was walking in here blindly.  All I knew was that I wanted something fuzzy – angora, mohair – whatever.  I was willing to shell out big bucks for quality materials, because after all – you can’t make a fabulous sweater out of crappy materials.  The sales lady was very nice, and very helpful. 

I narrowed the yarn selection down to a few choices, and she looked at my pattern and was able to tell me how many skeins I would need.  The prices of the materials ranged from $10/skein to $39/skein.  I opted for black mohair that was on the lower end of the price scale, priced at 10.95.  The product is called Katia Ingenua, and is made in Spain.  78% mohair, 13% nylon & 9% wool.    She also helped me select my needles.  Apparently there is a big difference between different kinds of needles and which ones are easier to knit with.  She looked at the number of stitches I would have on the needles and suggested that I use a circular needle made of stainless steel.  The product she selected for me was ChiaoGoo needles in size 10. 

As excited as I was after my trip to the yarn store, the pretty pink bag of knitting goodies from The Yarn Company of Palm Desert sat neglected on my desk for 3 weeks.  I was TERRIFIED of starting this project! 

No comments:

Post a Comment